Tuesday, October 14, 2008

What McCain needs to say

Tomorrow's debate will, barring some enormously ground-shaking event, be John McCain's last shot to win this election. We are three weeks out and the trend in every key state is not looking good for the senior senator. He needs to make this one count. If he doesn't, it's time for us to prepare ourselves mentally for a Democratic House, Democratic Senate and Democratic President running our nation in a time of war, recession and uncertainty on the Supreme Court, where 5 of the 9 Justices are age 70 or older.

McCain needs to make this country wake up and realize what's really at stake here. The issue that comes first, second and third is the ECONOMY. If I were advising McCain, I would make the following (lengthy) hypothetical quote as my final push message. It is formulated to fit in line with my idea for a commercial, but should also be adopted for the debate.

"Today, this nation faces challenges of a magnitude few of us have seen in our lifetime. We have a financial system on the verge of collapse at the hands of greed and corruption; we are engaged in a global struggle against forces of pure evil and hate; and the American people are suffering from the worst lack of confidence in their government in modern history. But for all of our troubles, we also have reasons to be optimistic. The foundation of our economy, our creative, innovative and industrious talents, are the greatest in the world; the freedoms our forefathers so elegantly articulated and defended are preserved; and our citizens have two drastically different choices in this historic election. I understand that, at this moment, I am not winning the hearts, minds or votes of the deciders in the American Democracy, the independent voters. I want to address them directly right now. After we cut through all of the talking points and polish, this election comes down to the independent voter choosing between style and substance. Despite what Senator Obama might say, you are not racist if you vote for me instead of him. You get to choose between a man who has spent his entire career running for higher and higher offices on the backs of domestic terrorists, radical America-haters and the people who's policies and philosophies have caused our current economic mess. Or, you can vote for me. I am person who has, despite all of my shortcomings, fought for what was right for our nation for my entire life. I have a record of taking on people who need to be brought to justice, regardless of party affiliation or personal consequence. Senator Obama, for all of his bi-partisan rhetoric, has never once stood up to his party. How do you, the independent voter, expect from Senator Obama the tough, relentless effort to bring the responsible parties to justice when he has never even made an attempt to do so in the past? I understand that you are angry about the mess we are in; I am too. I share your disdain for the Bush Administration's reckless ways. But I am also sick and tired of listening to my opponent lay this entire mess at the feet of my party. There are responsible people, some of whom are good friends and supporters of Obama, on both sides of the aisle whose hands are dirty; they need to be brought to justice. I have the fortitude to do it, Barack Obama has shown the world that he does not."

No comments: